11 March 2018

Up Above

 

These green swathes are for you,
The blue and boundless oceans
Are yours to churn.

This high pedestal,
Where the winds howl,
And violent aurorae glow,
Is for me.

While you see both
The clouds and stars,
As one.
I know I am a
Cloud, not a star.

You have your seasons
Of brown, green, red and white.
I have my moods that swing
From white to grey,
And grey back to black,
And flashes of temper
Before a tearful deluge.

Yet, if you were
To look beyond me,
You can see the sun-
Bright, warm, constant.
The stars, pinpricks,
But twinkling in my wake.

Yet, if you were
To compare them to me,
You would see me fade,
Fade away when the sun is high,
Fade away when the sky is cold,
Fade away when the Earth is old.

Those stars would outlive the sun,
The sun would outlive me.

Maybe, just maybe,
I shall outlive thee.

No comments: